Sunday, June 12, 2016

Facebook & Twitter

Social Media is the trend with "EVERYONE!!!" Everywhere you look, everywhere you go, people own a cellphone, people download apps, games, media, chat rooms, movies, etc. etc. Librarians have a good advantage to use social media to their benefit to promote library activities as I saw in one of the Facebook pages at Red Hook High School Library. A makerspace activity was being promoted on a Friday after school for duct tape crafting, beading, flower making and video editing. I suppose Facebook has its advantages given that the students have parental consent to be photographed and viewed on the internet. The page had no comments, however comments are not controlled by the individual who creates the page and some comments could be taken out of context or out of control when it comes to other people posting. Twitter has been sort of fun, just following and retweeting the posting. I have retrieved a long list of books to read from the twitter app. And have learned much from the professors on good book reads. It is interesting to know some professors include their workshops they will be having, for example Dr. Sheneman will be having a Discovery workshop on June 22, which I will be attending. For the most part, I have been following up on the American Association for School Librarians for updates on the latest books and companies that offer the latest on book purchasing.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing information about Red Hook High School Library, I will have to look them up on FB.
    The concern about comments on FB can be managed by having all comments approved prior to posting. Some sites already do this to monitor student comments. We all know how students can get out of hand at times with comments but maybe this solution would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did a report on Red Hook one day, couple a semesters ago for a class I cant recall right now, but the one thing I do remember about that school is that they got their act together when it comes to the library. I'm going to have to look that FB page up too. And I love twitter, it's the one I mainly use. It's easy to use and just mess around with if you have the time. And I didn't know you could get the list of books like that, how did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to look up Red Hook High's library on Facebook. Sounds like they are doing some pretty great things! I also enjoy looking at all of the different tweets on Twitter, especially when there is a book talk taking place.

    ReplyDelete